“The way to become wise is to honor the LORD;
He gives sound judgment to all who obey His commands.”
Psalm 111:10 (GNB)
In the New Testament, we are reminded of the benefits of obeying His commandments to the intent that we may grow in the true understanding of Him. (For the sake of brevity, I will list just a few related scriptures in the writings of John).
Take time to read these scriptures (below) slowly and reverently. There is a deep connection between His promises and our keeping and walking in His commandments. I am not a legalist, I am a realist. I believe His Word and seek to walk accordingly. It is my prayer that reading the Word of God would ignite within each of us that spark of desire to discover the path of righteousness. It is the path to seeing Him and knowing Him in ever-increasing glory.
• “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)
• “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21)
• “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love…” (John 15:10)
• “And hereby we do know that we know Him if we keep His commandments.” (1 John 2:3)
• “But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him…” (1 John 2:5)
• “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.” (1 John 3:22)
• “And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him…” (1 John 3:24)
• “By this, we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.” (1 John 5:2)
• “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.” (1 John 5:3)
• “And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.” (2 John 1:6)
• “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Revelation 12:17)
• “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” (Revelation 14:12)
• “Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.” (Revelation 22:14)
May we, by His Spirit, read afresh the promises considering that they are bound to our obedience unto Him. Let us read these scriptures and savor them as the true meat and drink of His life. May we find a new “fear of the Lord” that cultivates new obedience unto Him. As we grow in true understanding it causes us to “depart” from every form of evil. Without this departing, we openly declare our blindness and need for repentance. The validity of these truths in our own walk will impact our families and bring them into His fold that they may shine as lights in a darkened generation.
“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath:
but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.”
Ephesians 6:4 KJV
(Excerpt from a book in progress)
See: Obedience and the Tree of Life
A friend once paraphrased some of James, “We are saved by faith alone, but not by faith that IS alone.”
And even if saved, there ARE good works that He has prepared for us to do, and He will reward us according to our obedience. I want my heart to be in pursuit of His, to love what He loves and avoid what He would avoid.
Thanx for a great blog! c.a.
That is a very good quote. Thank you for stopping by and the encouragement.
Blessings to you and your family
You must log in to post a comment.